If you are interested in this service, click on the link below to register:
About our Teen Parent Support Service
Far North REAP Teen Parent Support Service works with young parents, 19 years of age and under. We aim to empower young parents in their parenting journey, to care and nurture their babies with confidence and become self-assured in their parenting skills. Young parents are resilient and when they feel nurtured in learning new parenting strategies, they feel good about themselves and can embrace the joys of parenthood. A bicultural approach with an emphasis on young parents, their whanau, cultural connections and identity.
We provide a variety of support, advice and guidance on parenting, by working alongside our Young Parents. We are able to assist them in achieving goals they have identified such as school/educational and personal goals. As well as providing both emotional and practical support, we provide advocacy services to assist young parents to acquire any core documents needed for their independence, for example birth certificate, bank account, setting up a RealMe account.
What is the criteria for this service?
- You need to be a parent 19 years of age or under who is needing support, whether it be educational, emotional or real-world support in the following areas: (there is no charge for this service)
- Education – support in remaining in school, re-enrolment in school, correspondence school – Te Kura Pounamu
- Training courses – from what is available through to the enrolment process
- Te Korowai Whakahaumaru Parenting Programme
- Advocating on behalf – Youth Services (WINZ), lawyers etc
- Licensing – from enrolling you on the appropriate course to sitting your licence – talk to us we may be able to help with payment
- Passport to Life – CV, birth certificate, IRD number, RealMe account, Bank account
- Back to basics living skills – cooking, budgeting, etc
- Car seats available with a car seat technician on hand to explain car seat safety and installation
- One on One support – confidential
- Antenatal Support
- Health & Wellbeing – Self care strategies
- Housing support
- Addictions support
- Youth Justice support
Te Korowai Whakahaumaru Parenting Programme
Te Korowai Whakahaumaru (The Cloak of Safety & Protection) is a Parenting Programme delivered in two parts. The first part of the session is based on connection to Whenua, Whānau, Whakapapa.
Here we cover:
- Self-care planning: triggers, burnout and resolution
- Whānau care planning: recognizing triggers, burnout and resolution in your whānau
- Whakapapa: knowing who you are and where you come from
- Pepeha: Identifying your physical environment
And the second part of the session is based on S.K.I.P (Strategies for Kids, Information for Parents), consisting of the 6 principals of parenting & Conscious Parenting – Developmental stages.
Here we cover:
S.K.I.P – 6 Principles of Parenting:
- Warmth and Love – Te aroha me te mahana
- Talking and Listening – Te korero me te whakarongo
- Guidance and Understanding – Te ārahi me te māramatanga
- Limits and Boundaries – Te tūāpapa mō te tika me te hē
- Consistency and Consequences – Te mahi pono – ngā hua me ngā hapa
- Structure and Security – Te hanga ao tōtika, ao haumaru
- The 5 stages of conscious parenting
- Stage 1 – Unaware
- Stage 2 – Becoming aware
- Stage 3 – Ready to change
- Stage 4 – Taking action
- Stage 5 – Maintaining change
This programme is delivered over 6 weeks and held on Wednesday mornings.